April 22, 2016
by Miss Curtain
Last week in library we started the Premier’s Reading Challenge. The Premier of Victoria, Daniel Andrews, has challenged every student in Victoria to read a set number of books. Grade four students need to read 15 books before the 9th September 2016. 10 of these books need to be from the ‘challenge list’ and 5 of them can be ‘free choice’.
There is an extensive range of books that students can choose from and the list is updated regularly by an expert panel.
A copy of the book lists can be found at:
Miss Browne reminded us about the importance of choosing ‘good fit’ books and that we read to read a variety of genres and authors.
Did you know that since the challenge began in 2005, over two million students have read an incredible 38 million books?
Can you recommend any Premier’s Reading Challenge books for other students to read?
What new books have you discovered by participating in the Premier’s Reading Challenge?
What are your favourite books and authors?
April 15, 2016
by Miss Curtain
Welcome to Term 2! 4A has had a fantastic start to the new term.
Some of the exciting learning we have done this week includes:
- Starting our new unit of work on persuasive texts
- Working on this weeks reading strategy, which was ‘identifying the main idea’
- Developing our mapping skills and knowledge of lots of different countries all over the world
- Solving division equations mentally – including equations that had remainders.
- Getting new spelling words
- Starting a new set of rotations for grade 3/4 sport: netball, football, soccer and basketball
- Beginning the Premier’s Reading Challenge
We also spent some time this week thinking about what our goals will be for the new term. We spoke about setting S.M.A.R.T goals and the importance of setting goals for ourselves.
What have you enjoyed learning during the first week of Term 2?
What goals have you set yourself for this term?
What are you looking forward to this term?